Thursday, 4 March 2010

Home Alone

My Nanny has been living with us for six months after splitting up with her husband at the grand old age of 80. This was her third marriage and she's definitely a card to say the least.

Recently Nan (or Great Nan to the boys) had an operation and just after she moved into her own Department of Housing Flat about 3 mins drive from us.

Unfortunately, she really wasn't ready to be on her own again and I've been spending a LOT of time moving her and checking on her. She is quite capable of living on her own and looking after herself, but yet here I am worrying about her as if she were my child. I guess it kinda is like she is my child. While she lived here I cooked and washed for her. She did the washing up for me (god love her that was wonderful).

But now I am here on my own with the kids most of the time as DH is at work. I miss her terribly. There is no one here to watch kids for 5 mins while I go and buy milk/bread/etc at the shop round the corner. No one to wash up and wipe the benches for me. I didn't realise how much she did contribute here and how much I would miss her.

Or the kids for that fact. Henry asked this morning if Great Nan still loved us cause she didn't want to live with us anymore. He had tears in his eyes and was genuinely heartbroken. How do you explain that everyone needs their own space and as much as Great Nan loved him, sometimes he was just too noisey and rambunctious for an 80 year old woman.

I guess it'll take a while to get used to it, and a while to get used to the new routine of visiting Nan around school times and taking her to get her errands done.

Until then, I feel like I am very much home alone with no one to talk to other than the kids (and that isn't fufilling me right now)

4 comments:

Kat said...

Oh Ali! That's rough. Sending you lots of hugs (((hugs))) Kat xx

Kellykat said...

Oh Ali, I am so sorry that she's moved out. Sounds like she has left a big hole in your hearts.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your nan moving out, she sounds like an amazing woman.

Ali said...

Thanks everyone. I just needed to put it out there to get it off of my chest.

She's settled in well to her new house - I just wish she could drive then she could come here and stuff